Welcome

This blog will take you on a journey as I explore children's books and discover which ones I love. You will follow me as I voice my opinions about reading and the importance it should have in school. I believe in the magic of reading and hope to teach that to my future students.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer reading, had me a blast.

I think it is ironic that I am taking a literature course during the summer because the few months between school is my favorite time to read. I remember every summer my mom would bring my brother and I to the library each week and we would pick out two or three books to read. I loved reading in the summer because I got to choose what kind of books I would read. I think it is a great idea to encourage children to read during the summer. I read this article http://www.scholastic.com/resources/article/summer-reading/ that offers tips about how to get children interested in reading over the summer. A few tips are model by example, show your kids that reading is fun by grabbing your own books at the library. Another fun idea is taking children to public readings, I know my library offered these reading theaters over the summer where volunteers would dress up like characters and read books to children for free. You can also set designated times for reading but you want to do this in a fun way. Something I think that would encourage children would be bringing books to the beach or setting up a hammock outside and giving them time to wind down and read. Another great way to enhance their reading during the summer is to always have books on hand during vacations, sometimes visiting with family can leave the kids with a lot of down time. A book is a great way for them to escape and pass the time. Overall, I think reading is always important but it is definitely crucial for parents to continue the reading process during the summer. You don't want your children to lose all of the skills they just worked on the past year, if anything you want them to grow more and be better prepared for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment