Welcome

This blog will take you on a journey as I explore children's books and discover which ones I love. You will follow me as I voice my opinions about reading and the importance it should have in school. I believe in the magic of reading and hope to teach that to my future students.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Modern Fantasy

In modern fantasy, anything is possible. When you read modern fantasy you get a break from the real world. Flying can occur, magic can be real, and crazy characters became our favorite. I think modern fantasies has become one of the most popular forms of literature in recent years. Books such as the Harry Potter series and Chronicles of Narnia have been known as favorites to my generation. Melissa Thomas says "What is most important about fantasy, what separates and frees it from the boundaries of other genres, is that it is undistilled version of human imagination- momentary worlds and magic that may be at odds with the rational truth, yet continue to reflect our culture and times. " I think that what she says here is very important. Modern fantasy is unlike any other type of literature. It is the type of literature that can take children away from their world and entire an unreal world with made up characters. The types of fantasies shown are animals, toys and objects, miniature worlds, time warps, unreal worlds, ghost stories, magic powers, preposterous characters, and quest tales. I think modern fantasy is the most important to build a child's sense of imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment