Welcome

This blog will take you on a journey as I explore children's books and discover which ones I love. You will follow me as I voice my opinions about reading and the importance it should have in school. I believe in the magic of reading and hope to teach that to my future students.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Historical Fiction

Historical fiction can sometimes be one of the hardest types of literature to find and evaluate but can add the most content to your curriculum as a teacher. Historical literature is the most crucial to be evaluated because you must confirm that historical information is correct. You must also be looking for any type of bias concerning the event discussed in the text. Historical fiction is also the most important for building connections to your curriculum, mostly related to social studies. I think it is great if you can find a piece of literature to match each lesson you teach about history because it helps students to understand how people felt during certain time periods. The categories found in historical fiction just detail time periods in our world starting with ancient times, then medieval times, colonial times, the revolutionary era, early frontier era, civil war, post-civil war, WWI, great depression, WWII, Post- WWII, and the civil rights movement. I recently read a book called Pink and Say that detailed the lives of two soldiers fighting in the union during the Civil War. The book moved me tremendously but also showed me how dedicated people were to equal rights and putting an end to slavery. It was the first time that I felt like I could really imagine what it was like to be living during the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment